The world lost an incredibly talented musician last night, and a major influence in my life.
I spent a good deal of my high school years listening to the Replacements. They had this great tune called "Alex Chilton". It became my first connection to the man.
"Children by the million sing for Alex Chilton when he comes 'round
They sing "I'm in love. What's that song?
I'm in love with that song."
Cerebral rape and pillage in a village of his choice.
Invisible man who can sing in a visible voice.
Feeling like a hundred bucks, exchanging good lucks face to face.
Checkin' his stash by the trash at St. Mark's place. "
Later on I would scavenge to collect his band's Big Star catalog. I feel incredibly privileged to have seen them on their reunion tour in the mid 1990s. They were the beginnings (IMHO) of indie pop in America and wore their Anglo-pop love on their sleeves. Having influenced literally hundreds if not thousands of bands... they unfortunately never got their just commercial success. Isn't that always how it works out.
Unfortunately I will regret not having gone to their show last year in Brooklyn.
If you've never heard Big Star, I suggest that you pick up 1# Record/ Radio City.
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment