Ok.... I don't have any pictures from the show, but they can be found at several other blogsites, namely brooklynvegan and music snobbery.
As a point of reference, I've been loving this band since I first heard some of their singles in mid-2008 (I guess I got swept up by the NME hype). Their music really reminds me of alot of the stuff I listened to back in my formative years. The problem was that their live show kinda was flat compared to the recorded work. I guess the weight of expectations can be somewhat of an influencing factor. Anyways.... I hear that the JAMC were awful live in the beginning (e.g. not even facing the audience while playing and only playing for like 20 minutes before leaving the stage) so there's hope still yet... plus I am seeing them again in March.
Key Points:
Negatives:
The set was only 40 minutes long and they came on 45 minutes late. I guess you can't blame them for the set time, but I'm old, and 45 minutes on a tuesday night is torture.
They had these massive blinding flood lights. Seriously everytime they turned them on I had to look to the ground. C'mon, they're not playing a stadium gig... it's only like 600 capacity at Bowery.
The gig was 18+. I seriously cannot hangout with all these NYU hipster kids anymore. Plus the place was packed. vv mentioned that we haven't been to a gig that packed since Arcade Fire played the Bowery in 2004, in another hyped up show. My body hugged the stair railing in the back.
Positives:
I liked the opening of Flowers and Football Tops. It set the tone.
At first I thought the crowd would be full of industry types. For some odd reason I go to a lot of shows in NYC in which you got all these people that either are talking too loud in the back (annoying) or just kinda stand there with there arms crossed the whole time looking like they would rather be anywhere else. They represented, but there were also some genuine fans... A lot of singing along to Go Square Go and Daddy's Gone.
So in short, the hits were great. There were a couple of tracks that translate better on the CD.
I'm still looking forward to March, but am slightly bummed that I missed the Okkervil River show last night at The Bell House.
No comments:
Post a Comment