Sunday, September 19, 2010

Pavement - Williamsburg Waterfront, Sunday, Sept. 19, 2010

The last time I saw Pavement live was in 1992.  They opened for Mudhoney and Sonic Youth at a show in Castaic Lake (near Magic Mountain) in California.  I don't even remember the setlist, although it must have been heavy on Slanted and Enchanted.  In fact I only really remember that it was super dusty and I broke my old fossil watch while moshing to Sonic Youth's Teen Age Riot.  I found it on the ground after the show finished..

My first exposure to Pavement was actually a cover.  The Wedding Present covered Pavement's Box Elder back in 1989!  Amazing that a band in the UK knew about this little band from Stockton, CA in the pre-internet world.

Slight Review:
The venue - Spectacular views of midtown Manhattan, decent food vendors ( they had a full customize pizza option with oven), tacos and tamales and BBQ, Brooklyn Brewery beers (Weisse, IPA and Pennant Ale) and wine.  Ticketing like all US festivals to get drinks.  ($6 a beer is better than Manhattan pricing).

The crowd - Could be composed generally into two broad categories.  The fans from the 90s who now may or may not have grey hair and the hipster kids in Williamsburg who may or may not have rode a fixie bike to the show.

The show - I didn't have super high expectations for a spectacular live show given the lo-fi ethos, but I actually was very surprised.  The band played super tight and managed to pump out the majority of their greatest hits starting with opener "Cut Your Hair" and progressing to other standouts like "Shady Lane", "Two States", "Summer Babe", "In the Mouth A Desert", "Trigger Cut", "Gold Soundz", "Stereo" etc....  They left "Here" out though and that may be my favorite Pavement track.  I'm sure they will play it at one of their Central Park shows.

Bummer was that I missed the premiere of  Boardwalk Empire, but Michael Shannon (one of the cast members) was hanging out by us at the pizza section during Jenny Lewis (really Jenny and Johnny) so he apparently wasn't watching either :)


Pizza!

Pavement!


No comments: