Sunday, October 25, 2009

Berlin Wall 20th Anniversary - November 9, 2009

News coverage is beginning regarding the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. Where was I when it fell? In California living out some of my salad days in high school. What I do remember most is the conversations that ensued in my German class. It was a time of great change, and we all bore witness to that through television. I always wanted to go to Berlin after that. And in 2006 we did go. (of course I didn't blog then)


It still to me felt like a city with a divided past, and of course, the East Berlin side is now where it's cool to be (kinda industrial, very artsy, german techno). There also has been tremendous development in the city but always with a regard to the past.

A number one priority was to see the Brandenburg Gate. In fact our hotel was right next to it on the East Berlin side. Just seeing it was inspiring. As if you could still sense the groups of people rushing to get through to the Tiergarten on the other side.

There were remnants of the wall everywhere, but one of the best viewing points is the East Side Gallery in which artists painted over sections of the wall. Sadly some of the sections have been ravaged by graffiti (of the non artistic variety), but large sections have been restored.


Perhaps one of the most memorable. (Brezhnev and Honecker)


And what is a trip to Berlin (or any trip of mine) without some reference to the local cuisine. We were fortunate to be there around Christmas 2006 and the Christmas markets were in full effect. I got a currywurst and beer... and I must say it was delicious. They really do know how to make a great sausage.

No comments: