Sunday, March 1, 2009

Grizzly Bear/Final Fantasy -BAM February 28, 2009


Arrived a liitle late for the Final Fantasy set. Truthfully all I knew about this band that it was a one man show (Owen Pallett) and that he is well known for his violin skills. Unfortunately we didn't get to see him play violin as he was behind a piano all night. Fellow concert goer Broccoli Rob described his sound as a cross between Stuart Murdoch and Andrew Bird. I would agree... with a little Magnetic Fields added for extra effect. The backing with the Brooklyn Philharmonic was nice. I enjoyed this set, although others found it a bit monotonous.

Grizzly Bear - While the orchestral arrangements by Nico Muhly were grandiose at some points and muted at others, I could not help feeling that it was somehow disconnected with Grizzly Bear's sound. Don't get me wrong, it was a great way to see the band. It's just that the songs without BP backing seemed so much more "beautiful". I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that Ed and Chris' voices have much of an otherworldly effect together. Plus they didn't play "Knife" :(

Last song "He Hit Me (And it Felt Like A Kiss)" a cover was awesome. Best track of the night. While leaving the Opera House I heard many comment that Rihanna should cover it as well. Nice.

No comments: